Whether you enjoy fishing, hunting, hiking, kayaking or any other activity in the great outdoors, one thing is for sure, being in the wilderness away from everyday stress is a place where you can find comfort, and a peace of mind. Not just for veterans, but for many of us dealing with the normal stresses life likes to throw at us, finding a place of peace and relaxation is very important for our well-being. For combat veterans especially who struggle with issues brought on by war, you may find that being out in the great outdoors is truly a place that can help more than any prescription medicine you may have been prescribed.
Having parents that saw the importance of getting away from the fast paced lifestyle here in NY, awarded me with experiencing what life is like away from the city. As a kid, camping had a whole different meaning than it does today in my life. It was about being free and adventurous at the many campgrounds we’ve enjoyed through the years, but as an adult the great outdoors has become a place for me to relax. Being away from everyday traffic of people and cars, but being surrounded by nature and the fresh air has grown on to me through the years, so much that hopefully someday I will find myself living in a log cabin in the woods.
As I get older I have also realized that although the great outdoors is relaxing for both my parents, it is especially needed for my father who is a Vietnam veteran, and one who has done his time working for many years is a stressful career. I understand now why my father turns into a different man once the camper is all set up, the campfire is lit, and the relaxing begins. For a man at his age, life’s everyday stressors do take a toll. For some of you, enjoying the great outdoors may not be on your radar when deciding where to take your next vacation, but let me share from experience why being out in the great outdoors should be:
Bonding with family and friends
– Nothing more important in anyones life than to have a place where you can appreciate spending time with family or friends, and making memories.
– Take your focus off of work, and everyday stress and instead focus your attention on relaxing. Whether your way of relaxing is just sitting in the woods listening and watching nature or taking up time with the many activities one can enjoy in the great outdoors.
– It is amazing what sites you can come across. Although we all see beauty differently, being part of the wilderness and coming across some magnificent scenery has led me to purchasing a nice camera. Believe me when I say, there is a lot to see in America, you just have to find it and many times it’s deep in the woods.
– Living by the ocean is great, but being out on a lake such as Lake George, is not only scenic, but also calming.
– Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Kayaking, Hiking, Mountain biking, Photography, Mountain and rock climbing, Boating, Offroading, Animal watching, Horse riding…… and a ton more.
So before you think about booking that resort, give the Great Outdoors a try because it could be just what your mind needs.
For further info:
Be sure to keep our Parks clean for future generations, and treat the animals with respect.