Below you can find Links and brief information pertaining to buying back your years of Military service to add to retirement. Be sure to contact the appropriate personnel to get started.
Here is form RI 20-97 Estimated Earnings During Military Service http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/RI20-97.pdfThis will be filled out and sent to the branch of service’s DEFAS (Defense Finance & Accounting Service) along WITH A COPY OF YOUR DD 214Here is the Link to the Military FINANCE CENTERS where you will send FORM RI 20-97 toSTEPS TO TAKE WHEN BUYING BACK YOUR MILITARY TIMEIf you have any prior active duty military service, you are eligible to buy back that time. How to buy back your military time:
1. Fill out RI 20-97 (PDF – 178KB).
2. Attach a copy of your DD214 and send it to the appropriate military finance center.
3. The military finance center will send you an estimated military earnings computation via mail. When you receive it:If you are a FERS employee, fill out part A of SF 3108 (PDF – 68KB).If you are a CSRS employee who was first employed in civilian service before 10-1-82, fill out part A of this SF 2803 (PDF – 217KB).If you are a CSRS employees first employed after 10-1-82, fill out part A of this SF 2803 (PDF – 288KB).
4. Send your RI2097 (or estimated earnings statement), DD 214, and SF2803 or SF3108 to your servicing personnel office. If you are employed by DFAS, DISA, DCAA, DoDIG, DTIC, DAU, or NDU, your servicing personnel office is DFAS and please mail to DFAS Shared Services Center, Benefits Division, DHFOPB, 8899 E. 56th St., Indianapolis, IN 46249-6485.
5. We will certify your application and forward it to your payroll office.
6. The payroll office will calculate the amount of your military deposit and inform you by letter the amount you owe and instructions for making payments.
7. Make your payments directly to your servicing payroll office, either by check/money order or through payroll deductions – as directed by your payroll office. The deposit may be made in a single lump sum or through installments. Your deposit account balance and each payment will be reflected on your LES.
8. When you have completed your payments, your servicing payroll office will send you a letter stating the deposit has been paid along with a completed OPM Form 1514 (PDF -205KB) which shows details of the computation.
9. Forward a copy of the completed OPM Form 1514 to your servicing personnel office for it to be placed in your official personnel file. If you are employed by DFAS, DISA, DCAA, DoDIG, DTIC, DAU, or NDU, your servicing personnel office is DFAS and please mail to DFAS Shared Services Center, Benefits Division, DHFOPB, 8899 E. 56th St., Indianapolis, IN 46249-6485.