Steps to using your GI BILL
Steps to receive your GI Bill monthly payments
Quick facts about your GI Bill
1. GI Bill payments are tax free; you do not claim them on your taxes.
2. Your GI Bill DOES NOT disqualify you from receiving state and federal college tuition and award monies. You can still apply for FAFSA and other grants; which I did and which I was awarded while receiving my monthly GI Bill money.
3. You can use you're GI Bill also for technical schools and even for on the job training
ex. A friend of mine was receiving his GI Bill payments while in police academy
4. You can receive life experience credits for ex.(I was security forces, if I went for a criminal justice degree they would have given me college credits since my police training had to deal with intro to law enforcement and other courses. Be sure to ask the VA rep on campus).
5. Your payments may be more than what your tuition is.
ex. I attended a community college for my associates, semester cost of $2200.
There are 4 months in a semester and at the time my GI Bill payments were $1300 a month.
So at the end of the semester I received a total of $5200, yet only had a tuition of $2200 to pay off.
So the extra money left over, sat in my savings account waiting to be used for my next college. However you can do whatever you want with that money, So why wouldn't you put your GI Bill to use, It's you're money that you invested in from the start of your career.
Steps I took to receive my monthly GI Bill payments
1.Sign up for the GI Bill in basic training.(if you did that, your off to a good start)
2.Find a college and program to attend
3.Contact the GI Bill hot line 1-888-442-2551 Gov't is very slow with paperwork so complete this at least 4 months in advance before the semester begins.
4.Contact the college and ask to speak with the Veteran Affairs representative. This person will help file your paperwork with the VA and answer questions. This you will do before every semester begins to make sure paperwork has been filed before the start of the semester.
5.Begin applying for Federal Aid and for any federal or state grant monies for school
Ex. I was awarded FAFSA money, Pell grant and also awarded my states Veteran tuition award. State benefits page
6.THE LAST DAY OF EVERY MONTH LOG onto WAVE SYSTEM to SUBMIT ENROLLMENT
( by clicking the words submit enrollment once logged in)WAVE SYSTEM
-Do these steps for every semester including summer and winter sessions. A month before the semester ends begin filing your paperwork for the next semester and always let your VA Rep. know. -Maintain good grades and attendance
GO TO SCHOOL AND USE YOUR GI BILL!